8.04.2006

The Last Frontier --ALASKA

Well, I am nearing the end of my second week in the remote place of Bethel, AK. My first week, I had the pleasure of sleeping in and spending quality time with my brother-in-law, Ben. We went kayaking on Hangar lake - float planes use it to land and dock at -we actually saw two seaplanes land right in front of us! I hadn't kayaked in a long time - we kayaked across and then explored the edge. We even saw a beaver house :o) We have also played many, many games - Go FISH, Panick, Golf, Zigity, Phase 10, Egyptian Ratscrew, Catch Phrase....We have watched mucho movies (and are planning a scary movie marathon this saturday while kimber works - she doesn't enjoy the scary movies - so Ben and I are bonding :o) - We have watched A River Runs Through It, Hitch, I, Robot, Hotel Rowanda, Murder 8y the Numb3rs, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Ice Age, Rat Race, The War, Eight Below.....Ben hasn't seen The Village - so it is on our hit list. Bethel can be related to a college community - people come and go quite frequently, some are just staying for certain training or a time period before moving on, and you feel away from the "real world." There is lots of tundra/grass. The land is kind of swampy with water/oil. There are lots of birds and mosquitos - mucho, persistant mosquitos! A lot of the structures uneven because the land moves so frequently - therefore, driving the short distance to work can be an adventure with the many bumps and pot holes - you don't even go 30 mph. A small amount of the roads are paved - most dirt or gravel - so it is very dusty or muddy. We have went on a couple of walks after kimber gets off of her nursing shift - the boardwalks are funny because they are also uneven. One of the most popular place is the one and only store to purchase food or clothes or supplies at. Prices are quite expensive - doritos are $9. Gas is $4.50 per gal. Another favorite place is the post office - its actually newer and larger than the one in Lebanon because everyone has their own PO BOX to receive mail. Bethel, however, is interesting because of its rare location - most people travel by boat, snow machine, (depending on the season) and airplane. One of my favorite parts of Bethel is the Dillon Park - located outside the police department - it is smaller than the average apartment, probably smaller than a dorm room. It has a nice sign, one bench, one tree - I laugh when I see it - I'll have to get a pic! I've never seen anyone at it - i think its more like a joke.....In the summer it gets up to 70 degrees and in the winter - a chilling -40 degrees. I guess they had gotten one of the worst high pressure systems ever recorded and the planes couldn't even take off. Compared to college life, the pace is slow. The people are super nice and friendly - interested to know who you are and why you came to Bethel and how are you liking it. Everyone who knows my sister, Kimber, either mistakes me for kimber or sees very close similarities between us. People assume that I am Ben's wife or girlfriend - I'm just happy enough to have him as my bro. Last weekend, we went to Anchorage and then drove to Seward and went camping and hiking and fishing - lots of fun. I'll blog pics later :o) I absolutely fell in love with the magnificient mountains though! Their beauty glorifies God. I'm jealous of the Alaskans who get to wake up every morning to that awesome view! Well, starting tuesday, I began my full time job at the school district office in Bethel. I am working as a secretary - weird and crazy - They basically hired me on ben's word. Luckily, I am catching on to what exactly I can do besides wait around for the phone to ring. The other employees are great and everyone introduced themself and showed interest in me. It makes for a long day though - waking up at 7am, at work by 8am, lunch from 12-1pm, and I get off at 5pm. Tonight, we may go berry picking, depending on the weather - if so, we would travel by boat up the river to another village. So, i have two more weeks left here. Next week, mom will be visiting for one week as well - I am glad she gets to see it as well. I promise to blog pics soon! God bless everyone! Have fun with the rest of your summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you dear Em Z Doodle - I am ready for a hug!!! So thankful that I get to come see the LAST FRONTIER with you and Kimber and Ben. Thanks for sharing about your time there - I so enjoyed it.
megga love, MOM

Meredith said...

It sounds like you're having a great end to the summer. I can't wait to see you! Cheers for watching The Villiage!!! I have very fond memories of that one. ;-) Love ya!