2.03.2007

Freeze Your Fanny 5k

The highlight of the first month back to college happened this morning at the bright and early time of 8:30am with temperatures in the mere 20s. After learning of a 5k race in longview from a professor, I registered for the Freeze Your Fanny race and recruited two of my wonderful friends to run with me. The money went towards the special Olympics team in longview - so besides having the pleasure of running with some friends, we were also supporting a great cause. As part of our intense training - we ran a total of one time together on the previous Saturday - but it was well worth it! Right, ladies??? I hope to do another one before the semester comes to an end. Midterms are only one month away. So besides experiencing the joy of running again, I have been busy with classes and instrument flight on the simulators. Last Wednesday, I passed my first stage check and now will be working on flying instrument approaches. In this past week, we actually had two occurrences of snow! yup, in Texas! it didn't stick :o( but we actually could see white snow flakes. I am really enjoying my Bib Lit class - its been good to study and learn more about God's Word in a class setting again. God has used the class/professor to remind me more of His truths and promises and how His reasons are above our own. Let's see, in my airframe lab - we have been soldering wires to electrical terminals. The first time trying did not go so well - the professor said he could just pull them out "like weeds!" But I believe I succeeded the second time - we'll see come Tuesday. Physics has brought up memories of high school. I have enjoyed the chance to take a class with my friend though - Meredith (on far right of picture) - we have been bonding all the more as we complete hours of "CAPA" - online program for physics problems. The lab for physics isn't that bad though - fun, hands-on stuff. My first couple of tests are coming up in the next week - yikes. I'm still going to the crossroads church in longview and am going to try to attend one of their life groups tonight with a friend. I appreciate all of your prayers and encouragement. The semester has already had its challenging moments, but I know I also have a lot to be thankful for through God's work in my life. Please continue to pray for me as I train for my instrument rating as well as try to find time for everything else. I really have been convicted to set aside time for things that I really enjoy - like reading a novel, drawing a picture, running, chatting with friends, calling a friend or relative....(its been easy for me to get burnt out as well as tired). I'm just a sheep trying to listen to my Shepherd's voice and learning to follow Him when all I see is the challenges, risks, and doubts surrounding me - But He is capable, I just have to be willing. (and in reality, my dorm floor is the Davis Lambs :o)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Beloved said...

Great job on covering all the ups and challenges of your 2nd semester of sophomore year. It brought tears to my eyes....It is exciting to see God working in your life....you see Ems, your momma is not the only one who believes you are a priceless jewel. Your Heavenly Father most certainly does! The Davis Lambs are precious. I love you megga! You are way tougher than me as I would not even attempt anything that was called Freeze Your Fanny! Continue on your walk by faith!

Meredith said...

Ready for the next 5K? I think we might need to get in shape a little more lol. How about we run a while 3 times before hand instead of just 1 ;-). Lova ya!

Sarah said...

Em, It is so good to hear about your life. I miss you and I hope that we can talk soon. I got a second job to help pay for school so I have even less time to talk but I will keep trying. I love you and I miss you. Love Sarah

Debra said...

Emily dear, it is great to see you and your friends in your new t-shirts and to read how this semester has been for you so far. Your style of writing was fun to read, too. Will keep praying for you. I'm so proud of the tough classes you are taking and that you aren't giving up. You are finding out what you can do and experiencing God's help and His faithfulness. We love you! Aunt Deb & Uncle Vernon P.S. Yes, you do need to plan in your schedule fun things to do as rewards for your hard work and a way of refreshing yourself.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to read you are running again, and a recruiter on top of it!!

Keep pressing on - Phil 3:13
cr